Friday, November 16, 2007

Just so everyone knows that it isn't just Americans....

A few Russian doomsday nutcases have holed themselves up in a cave in central Russia. Something akin to what we in the US hear from time to time from places like Montana or Idaho. Sad, really.

These people are claiming Christianity as their cause, and many of our own end-of-the-world cults do, too. I've always wondered why they think that they are exempt from the statement: "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Mark 13:32 (NIV) If they are true believers, they should know that they are clueless about the end of the world, and they are commanded to "keep watch" as a faithful servant. I don't call quiting life and living in a cave exactly "keeping watch".

If they would just read instead of getting all worked up, they could save themselves a lot of grief.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Two things happen to me when people talk endlessly about the end times or specifically Christ's return. First, I think they are getting worked up about something they can't control. As you mentioned, "no one knows." When they overemphasize that portion of the Scriptures, something else inevitably gets left out.

Secondly, I get introspective. Why is it that I'm not looking for Christ's return to be any moment? Am I becoming so concerned about this temporary life and forgetting that eternity looms ever nearer? You know what I mean.

It's easy to say that balance is the key, but here I think it is. As Christians, we need to be expecting his return at any moment. But we also need to be working toward his goals: his glory and the Great Commission.

12:27 PM  
Blogger EggsnGrits said...

Well said, Andy.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home