Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Nostalgia Through New Technology

Filling my new iRiver Clix for the first time, I thought for a minute about what I would load onto it if I knew that I couldn't change the music on it for some time. That is, songs that I could actually listen to over and over. If you know me and my music tastes and habits, you know that this is the exact opposite of how I generally listen; I usually rotate material often, and I like to listen to entire albums rather than only the one or two true standouts on each.

I came up with the following list off the top of my head. It's not complete, and I tried to keep it to one song per artist, but two or three made the list twice (with good reason). They're in no particular order.

You may find all the information that you need at allmusic.com. Listen for yourself!

Carolyn's Fingers - Cocteau Twins
Explode and Make Up - Sugar
Naomi - Neutral Milk Hotel
Uncertain Smile - TheThe
See a Little Light - Bob Mould
There She Goes - The La's
God Only Knows - the Beach Boys
Tilted - Sugar
Ma Solituda - Catherine Wheel
Talk - Coldplay
Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
So. Central Rain - R.E.M.
I Was a Kaleidoscope - Death Cab for Cutie
The Sound of Settling - Death Cab for Cutie
This Boy Is Exhausted - The Wrens
Tell Me When It's Over - Dream Syndicate
Turn It On Again - Genesis
Someone to Pull the Trigger - Matthew Sweet
Distance Equals Rate Times Time - The Pixies
Quattro (World Drifts In) - Calexico
Save You - Pulsars
Let Down - Radiohead
Talk About the Passion - R.E.M.
Too Pure - Sebadoh
Starálfur - Sigur Rós
Love What You Do - The Divine Comedy
Dope Fiend Blues - Mike Ness
Hanging Blue Side - Son Volt
Gentle Moon - Sun Kil Moon
Off the Pedestal - Wheat
The Have Nots - X
My Favorite Green Hill - Mazarin
Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
Tennessee Fire - The Silos
Walked in Line - Joy Division
London Calling - The Clash
Carry the Zero - Built to Spill

Of course, this means that a list of songs that will NEVER make the Clix is boiling around in my brain despite my best effort to keep them out. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home